Sunday, February 21, 2010

Deep In the Heart of Texas



A week in Austin, the capitol and well, the heart of Texas at its "weirdest."



In a sentence, what went on? Ice cream licking at Amy's, rockin' veggie burgers at Opal Divine's downtown spot (and damn good margaritas too, Thanks Jason and James), rollercoastering the highways that weren't marked in little red cars (thanks Amber and Holly for lending me your hotrides), a breakdown at the Apple store (thanks Mac Geniuses!!!), mean and rude remarks at the Ginger Man bar (boo on too cool for school clique-y jerks and their circles), a phenomenal tip top hair cut by Miss Holly Taylor at Aziz (yay, first time I didn't cry in a salon chair, in fact I smiled and got taught how to do a proper hair toss), outstanding fried avocado tacos and queso at Torchy's (dearie me, how did I live before I ate queso tex-mex style??), a killer deep, life-changing massage from Mateo (masseuse guru extraordinaire thank you for the best massage of my life), random cross meetings with the right people at the right time (David McCully you are a gem and Paul & Maggie, you bring Michigan's reputation up and outta the park) and closing out with a first-of-its-kind Alamo Drafthouse cinema special of 1980's girlie Saturday morning cartoons complete with a selection of over 25 cereals, My Little Ponies, Care Bears, Thundercats, Voltron, Jem, Rainbow Brite and of course....


Okay so that was more of a run-on sentence ramble but you get the picture.

Gluttony and cacophony ensued into the wee hours with my gracious hosts all over town. Cdub, you spoiled me with all the gourmet items about town and your biting wit, thank you.
Holly, I love my haircut and well, YOU!
Amber, you are my sister, my chingu, my sauce-som Sally.

I had way too much mac n' cheese, tacos, veggie burgers and margaritas. I'm now detoxing after my indulgences but they were worth the stories and the salivation.

The biggest a-ha moment in Texas was when my iPhone crapped out and I was prompted with the impulse to freak out. I'd been all antsy about driving my friends' cars on unknown streets and was gearing up to chicken out when my iPhone decided to give me the gumption to get out and get going. With no googlemap, gps, map, phone I managed to drive up and down 5th and 6th streets (one-ways) about 10 times, asking taxi drivers and nice looking folks which way to MO-PAC which lead to the mall with an Apple Store... I didn't know the street I was looking for was a highway (Missouri Pacific Highway 1). I got super flustered on my tenth round and decided to breathe in deeply, reminding myself that I had cash in my purse, a running car with a full tank of gas at my disposal and English being spoken everywhere- many things were in my favor. I would find my way! And I did, after miming "roll down your window and help me" to drivers near and far, I got over my fear of driving and did so with no technological devices. Wow, makes you appreciate how easy it to navigate our world! And even after that whole "detour of a morning" I made it to my massage appointment with 20 minutes to spare, yee haw indeed!

And I was gonna cancel my rub down out of fear of driving, ha! Thanks Universe for slipping me a super duper little lesson.

I'm so grateful to have had a good rest up in Texas. I got loved on by some super cute cats and puppies, friends, food, Pilsners, CareBears, milk & cereal and got a new coaching client for my new gig to top it all off!

God Bless Texas and remember to eat ice cream at the Alamo (Davy Crockett would've wanted it that way).

1 comment:

  1. Indeed ma'am, it was a whirlwind of fun and flair, with the saucy flip of that beautiful Holly-cut Ella hair. I am so beyond grateful you stopped over in Austin and allowed the amazing times to conquer any other experience! I love you!

    ReplyDelete