Monday, February 22, 2010

Ella Enchanted: Marvels of Mother Nature



Awe. Sheer awe. 800 feet below the surface of Carlsbad, New Mexico is a true world wonder. When word first got out about the Carlsbad Caverns, photographic evidence was required for belief. By the time folks in Washington D.C. got wind of this divine mystical sight, there were still non-believers but after witnessing them first hand the good ol' politicians on Capitol Hill deemed it a treasure true and true.

Walking down the cavern's trail on what's now paved and well-lit (thank you Broadway Show Lighting Experts), it's overwhelming that for just $6 U.S. Dollars you witness sacredness and inhale it with your senses.

I felt humbled by the drippings of life that have been here for millions of years and some still continue to grow.


The magnificence of this place was almost unspeakable and so I kept quiet as my eyes widened and my mouth gaped.



For you nerds and lovers of facts (I'm one of you)- Carlsbad Caverns includes a large cave chamber 3rd largest in the Americas and 7th largest in the world, the Big Room, a natural limestone chamber which is almost 4,000 feet (about 1,219 m) long, 625 feet (190.5 m) wide, and 350 feet (about 107 m) high at the highest point.

Proof of my nerd-dom, exhibit A:



The end of the day found us several hours east at another spectacle of magic, White Sands! A storm was rolling in, spits and swirls of rain flew onto us and opened up to a rainbow as the sun set.
Pretty darned epic if I do say so myself.

The world's largest surface deposit of gypsum(the finest limestone grains) cover and create dunes nearly 500 total square kilometers of the area.

Crazy that this is the same area that missile testing is done, a tad eery indeed but the dunes themselves have such a sweet serenity that beckons you to sled down them and make sand angels.
What a bright, blessed day.


Love to you from the Land of Enchantment...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for trying to post, Dad- I'll show you how when I skype you next...for now, I'll do it for ya.

    “Fantastic photos and nice prose too!


    Father Lauser (no, I’m not a priest ;->)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sand in your crack=worth it! for a fine snow angel

    ReplyDelete